Monday 24 September 2012

My 8 Favourite Television Characters Of 2012

I recently developed an obsession with watching television comedies. And I mean like, watching them nonstop, all the time, entire seasons at a time. I was really behind on my tv shows okay? So, here they are: My favourite TV characters of 2012 (From comedies. And not all the new comedies they're starting this TV season. They all look terrible.)

8. Schmidt (New Girl)





"Damn it! I can't find my driving moccasins anywhere!" 
Well dressed, always classy. Schmidt is the ladies man of the apartment, kind of. But he's very particular about everything he wears. Please see "The Douchebag Jar." But when it comes down to it, Schmidt is charming and sweet, and he says all the most ridiculous things, so I love him.


7. Kenneth Parcell (30 Rock)




I grew up on a pig farm, sir, where all the animals - even the birds that cleaned our teeth - were workers, not pets. I never even had a dog, ‘cause as my mom would say: “You can’t eat love.” And as my mom’s friend Ron would say: “The donkey died. You’re the donkey now, Kenneth.
Everyone at 30 Rock loves Kenneth. He will do anything for NBC and the people who work there. This country boy came to the big city because he loves television, and it's obvious. Kenneth sees the world in a completely different way (The World Through Kenneth's Eyes Clip) and it seems like a much happier place. Kenneth's stories of his childhood really make him one of the best characters. Plus he's adorable, so how could you dislike him?


6. Gloria Pritchett (Modern Family)




"I'm nice and I put on the sugar jacket."
Everyone thinks of Gloria as the hot gold digger, but if you pay attention to what she says, she's one of the funniest characters on Modern Family. And her accent makes everything sound just a little bit (okay, a lot) sillier. English, clearly, is her second language, so she makes mistakes from time to time. And here is where the greatest laughter potential lies.

5. Dalia Royce (Suburgatory)




"Hoe just died. Sucks."
Dalia tells it like it is. And behind all of the designer clothing and expensive make-up and sugar free Red Bull (WITH a straw) she can actually be sweet and thoughtful. But as if she's going to admit that, byotch. Dalia is Tessa's (that's the main character, if you're not familiar with the show) guide to life in the suburbs, and she exemplifies every suburban cliche there is. Which, of course, is funny.



4. Abed Nadir (Community)




"I thought you were like Bill Murray in any of his films, but you're more like Michael Douglas in any of his films."
Abed is amazing. Not only does he break the fourth wall of television, but he has an imagination rivalled by no one and I love it. He thinks his life is a TV show (I don't have to tell you why this is funny, I hope.) Also his social awkwardness and robotic voice make for hilarious scenes. Abed single handedly adds that something-something to Community that sets it apart from the other shows on NBC. Just look at his Claymation Christmas Special or the Dreamatorium. There's just no one quite like Abed.


3. April Ludgate (Parks and Recreation)




“No, I didn't win. But, at least I didn't make any new friendships.” 
Deadpan comedy continues to be one of my favourite forms, although I really don't know why. Regardless of the reason, April is totally deadpan and I think it's great. But there's more to April than her emotionless, monotone outer coating. April cares a lot about the rest of the employees in the parks department, and there are a surprising number of "awww, that's sweet" moments involving April that make your heart all warm and fuzzy and stuff. Plus, I associate greatly with April's dislike of people and things. So this is why I love her.


2. Dr. Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)




"That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
I know everyone loves Sheldon. How can you not? He's annoying at times but he's also adorable. Some might say, "Oh, why not Leonard?" No. I hate Leonard. Don't even go there. Sheldon's naivety to social norms and his classic pranks make him, in my opinion, the most interesting character on the show. And everyone loves learning a new word when they're watching TV right? Okay, maybe that's mostly just me. Bazinga!

1. Liz Lemon (30 Rock)




"I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich."
Liz Lemon is all I ever hope to be and more. It took me an unbelievable amount of time to pick a favourite quote, because so many things Liz says are things that I myself often think about and strongly believe (see sandwich quote above.) From Night Cheese to shotgunning an entire pizza, Lemon is my kind of girl. She's crazy, she's hardworking and she is a complete dud in the relationship department. What more could you possibly want in a lead character on any show, am I right?





Honorable Mentions: Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation), Lily Aldrin (How I Met Your Mother), Chris Traeger (Parks and Recreation), Luke Dunphy (Modern Family), Annie Edison (Community).



No comments:

Post a Comment